Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Defenders of the Scroll

By Shiraz

From the book jacket:

“Far away in the realm of Mythos, an evil entity has broken free of its prison to darken the land. However, entrusted with her father’s magic scroll – the only hope for the realm – young princess Dara summons six heroes from different times and places to defend her: a hardened Roman legionnaire, a swift Japanese samurai, a mighty African warrior, a fiery Amazon archer, a spirited Shaolin monk, and a guitar-playing high school student named Alex.”

Most of my readers know already that I don’t typically read this type of book. That, in itself, probably makes for a more unbiased review in some respects.

I did find myself engrossed in this tale as the group of unusual personalities find themselves on the run from evil, while at the same time, trying to find a way to save the kingdom and rescue the king who is imprisoned by those evil forces.

The majority of the book was fairly believable, but there were a few parts that didn’t quite jive with the rest of the story.

I would suspect this tale would enthrall young readers who are interested in fantasy video games, as the story follows that type of scenario. And I did want very much for these people to succeed.

However (and this could be considered a spoiler, although I’m not sure if it fits into that), I was surprised to reach the end of the book only to find the story continues into a separate novel. I wish there had been some warning of that, but nowhere did I see an indication this was a series.

I gave this 3 books because of the tight, precise writing and I was able to see where the audience it’s intended for would enjoy it.



No comments: