Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday Sightseeing


Driving through the desert of eastern Washington, one wouldn't expect to find so much water flowing in the middle of nowhere. But there it is!

Palouse Falls ... one of the last remaining sites providing evidence of the great Missoula Ice Age Floods that created the landscape of this unique area I call home.

I have visited the falls many times and each is a treat to behold. Depending on the time of year you are there, the water flows at a different rate. Dropping 200 feet into a turbulent pool, it is such a spectacular sight.

The Washington Parks Department has taken great care of the surrounding area. There are picnic tables, public restrooms, a campsite, hiking trails and interpretive signs.

And wildlife!

I took this picture the last time I was at the falls.

Palouse Falls is located about 60 miles from my home. It makes for a lovely weekend drive.

No comments: