Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Blessings

Anna Quindlen has really outdone herself with this book. I always enjoy reading her stories and "Blessings" is such a fascinating tale that I could hardly put it down.
In this story, a young (and unmarried, I'm assuming) couple leaves a newborn baby in a box by the garage door at the Blessings estate. The caretaker finds the tiny girl and decides to keep her. He goes to great lengths to not let anyone know so they won't take her away from him.
Eventually, of course, the mistress of the house, who is very elderly, finds out and she becomes part of his plot. She seems to enjoy the intrigue of keeping the secret. However, she does understand there are practicalities that need to be considered and she goes about trying to help him with such things as immunizations, etc. She even has her lawyer looking into how to come up with a birth certificate.
Both of them end up falling madly in love with this adorable baby. They watch her grow and learn about the world around her. And because Quindlen is so good as descriptive writing, the reader will also fall for this child.
I should stop telling about this great book. Otherwise, I'll start giving away what happens and I'd rather you read the book for yourself. Be sure to look for it next time you're browsing the bookshelves. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LuAnn: Thank you so much for stopping by My Book Bag! I enjoyed your review of Blessings, and will be back to look over more of them.

Blessings! :)
Delia