Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wednesday Word Skills

It's been a while since I've done a word skills posting. I suppose the main reason is because most of the books I've read lately didn't seem to have any interesting words in them.

However, my current read ("Jackson" by T.P. Jones) does. So, here goes!

1. excoriating = to denounce or berate severely; flay verbally
2. apparatchiks = members of an organization or existing power structure
3. cadge = to obtain by imposing on another's generosity or friendship; to borrow without intent to repay
4. rebbe = a teacher in a Jewish school; a title of respect for a leader of a Hasidic group (Hasidic is a sect founded in Poland in the 18th century characterized by its emphasis on mysticism, prayer, ritual strictness, religious zeal and joy)

So far, I'm only on page 119 of this 539-page book, so there may be more words next week! We can always hope, huh?

No comments: