Sunday, October 11, 2009

Confessions of a Trauma Junkie

By Sherry Jones Mayo

From the back of the book:


“Share the innermost feelings of emergency services workers as they encounter trauma, tragedy, redemption, and even a little humor. … This book allows readers to stand on both sides of the gurney; it details a progression from innocence to enlightened caregiver to burnout, glimpsing into each stage personally and professionally.”

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I first began reading this book. It’s written a little differently than your average novel or biography.


Sherry Jones Mayo gathered essays from a variety of emergency workers. They talk about what it’s like to deal with these types of situations. Some talked about specific incidents; others discussed more general feelings.


I’ve been on many sides of the gurney. I’ve been a patient and I’ve been a parent and-or friend of the patient.


I’m also a journalist, so I’ve covered many emergencies where I witnessed firsthand the work these professionals perform daily.


Theirs is not an easy job and it’s also a thankless job.


I would imagine it was almost a cleansing experience to write their thoughts for Sherry’s book and it is interesting to read. It would be great for someone considering this line of work to read it before making a final decision. The writers pull no punches when they describe what it’s like to deal with life and death.


I did enjoy reading the book and I did like it, so I give it 3 books.



1 comment:

Georgia said...

I think that I'd like to read that book....it seems really interesting.