Thursday, October 8, 2009

Legacy

By Kayla Kluver

From the back of the book:

“Obligated to wed her father’s choice in successor to the throne, seventeen-year-old Princess Alera of Hytanica believes that she is being forced into the worst of all possible fates – a marriage to the arrogant and hot-tempered Steldor. When the attractive and mysterious Narian arrives from enemy lands bearing secrets and different ideas about women’s roles in the world, Alera’s private desires threaten to destroy the kingdom.”


The one thing that struck me right from page one was this book is written by a 16-year-old girl. To me, that is absolutely amazing. It’s not often one so young has the grasp of grammar and the English language Kayla Kluver apparently does.


I was also impressed with her understanding of how different relationships are when talking about kingdoms and royalty. She obviously did her homework.


I don’t typically read this genre (YA fantasy, I’d call it), but I did like this book. It was a little long-winded and could have been tightened up in places, but all in all, it’s a marvelous start on what I predict will be a long and successful writing career for this young lady.


My plan is to pass "Legacy" on to my step-granddaughter who had been busy reading every YA fantasy book she can get her hands on. Anything we can do to encourage reading in young people is a good thing! So I'm glad we have up and coming young authors like Kayla who can relate to her peers and write what they like to read.


No comments: