Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wednesday Word Skills


I should have posted this hours ago, but I've been gone most the day. Now, $300 later, my car has its little ticking issue taken care of that has been driving me crazy forever! So, that's a good thing.

Anyway, this week, I used “Rekindled” by Barbara Delinsky for my word list. This book is a reprint of two novels Barbara wrote early in her career.

From “Flip Side of Yesterday”

Dais = a platform raised above the floor at one end of a hall or room, as for a throne, seats of honor, a speaker’s stand, etc.
Dashiki = a loose fitting, usually brightly colored, robe or tunic modeled after an African tribal garment.
Raison d’ĂȘtre = a diplomatic or political reason.

From “Lilac Awakening”

Arabesque = a complex and elaborate design of intertwined lines suggesting flowers, foliage, animals, geometric patterns, etc., used in drawing, painting, low relief, metalwork, etc.; fantastic, elaborate.
Harbinger = a person or thing that comes before to announce or give an indication of what follows; herald.
Sanctimonious = pretending to be holy or pious; affecting righteousness.

No comments: