Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday Firsts


To join in on Friday Firsts, visit Wendy. She’s got today’s topic and a puzzle for you.

Reach out and pick up the nearest book to you right now (don’t go the bookshelf and pull off War and Peace). What’s the first line…


Here's mine from the prologue of "That Went Well" by Terrell Harris Dougan:

"It's Christmastime, and in a bright supermarket, with 'Joy to the World' spilling out of the overhead speaker, I am ducking a flying package of chicken that is sailing past my head, thrown at me by my furious sister."

3 comments:

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Zibilee at Raging Bibliophilia has a great review of this. Sounds like an engaging and sensitive memoir.

wendy elizabeth said...

I come from a family of chuckers :) If any of us are cranky you'd better know how to duck so this first line made me laugh and that makes a great first line! Through the looking glass was good guess but no cigar, as they say. come back to WeRead next week to find out who's buying those flowers herself.

LuAnn said...

Dawn: Yes, it really was a good book. I need to get busy and write a review for the publisher, but I enjoyed so much about the book, I'm not sure where to start!

Wendy: That's too funny. I, too, loved the opening line of this book. To top it off, it only got better after that!