Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wednesday Word Skills

Many of you may have seen a similar type of posting on several book and author blogs. The idea is to find words you aren’t very familiar with and learn their meanings.

These are new words I discovered in my reading this past week. Although I already know most of them, it was fun looking them up and thinking about other ways they could be used.

The words I chose are from the book “A Wallflower Christmas” by Lisa Kleypas. Because this book takes place in 1845 London, these were very unique words I don’t typically find in books I read.

Acerbically = sharp, bitter or harsh in temper, language, etc.

Asperity = harshness or sharpness of temper

Audacious = rudely bold, brazen

Bergamot = a pear-shaped inedible fruit of a small evergreen tree; the oil is used in perfumes

Cravat = a neckerchief or scarf

Ester = an organic compound, comparable to inorganic salt

Felicitous = aptly chosen, appropriate

Fezziwig ball = lively Christmas party in Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol”

French biologist Lamarck = his theory of organic evolution claimed acquired characteristics can be inherited

Insouciantly = calm, untroubled, carefree, indifferent

Morose = ill-tempered, gloomy, sullen

Obsequious = showing too great a willingness to follow

Paragon = model or pattern of perfection or excellence

Prosaically = commonplace, dull, ordinary

Ruminating = turn something over in the mind, meditating

4 comments:

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I've haven't been able to get in the habit of marking words that are "new to me". I generally figure out the meaning from context and move on. It would be a great habit/discipline (and a fantastic vocabulary builder!)

Do you keep a running list, or just noted the unknown words for this one book?

Dawn
She is Too Fond of Books

LuAnn said...

I just started doing this. I put a sticky note inside the front cover and write interesting words on it as I'm reading. Like you, I either already know the words or figure them out as I read. I knew most of these, in fact, but I thought it would be fun to look up the actual definitions. Not only would it expand my vocabulary, but it may give my readers some new words to add to their knowledge, as well.

Anonymous said...

Wow that's a great idea... I love to learn new words but am too lazy to mark them and look them up... I am looking forward to your next list :)..take care..

LuAnn said...

Thanks for stopping by, Flo. I will, indeed have another list next Wednesday.