Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday Mail Call

I feel like I was pretty much neglecting my blog for a couple weeks, but it couldn't be helped. We were gone camping for a week, so I had tons of work to catch up on when we got back.

It seems writers are on some kind of different plane than the 9 to 5 workers. We particularly have a set schedule per se. We work as the assignments dictate or the inspiration propels us.

So, when we decide to take time off, we work like crazy people to make up for it. No one can step in to take our place while we are gone. The work just has to wait for our return.

I did take the laptop with me, but I never booted it up. It's been so long since I had any time to myself, I was enjoying the break. So, the extra work to catch up was totally worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

For the past week, though, I have been posting regularly some book reviews and I have lots more ready to go. I'm also planning a giveaway soon, so keep your eyes out for that.

This is the first Monday Mail Call since June 21, so I have quite a list of new books that arrived in my mailbox the past three weeks. Here they are:

1. Garner on Language and Writing by Bryan A. Garner
2. Red November by W. Craig Reed
3. The Price of Revenge by Dennis Vaughn
4. Gogo’s Dream: Swaziland Discovered by Linda M. Rhinehart Neas
5. The Infinite Adventures of Rodney Appleseed in Nothing Happens by Ross Anthony
6. Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes
7. The Big Ten of Grammar by William B. Bradshaw, PhD
8. The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith  

Some of the books are for review, while others I won in drawings -- always fun! I enter lots of giveaways and I've won some great prizes. But every once in a while, one comes along that just flat out excites me. So, there I am ... diligently filling out the form to make sure everything is correct ... all the while thinking I don't have the slightest chance of winning because it's something I really, REALLY want to win.
Imagine my surprise when I opened a package and found the CD "Carole King and James Taylor: Live at the Troubadour!" I didn't even know I won. They never notified me; they just sent it to my address I provided (a good reason to double check your entry information before hitting the "enter" or "send" button).

Just another reason why I will continue to enter those sweepstakes, contests and giveaways! I love surprises!

6 comments:

Rev. Linda M. Rhinehart Neas, M.Ed. said...

LuAnn,

Thanks for the mention on your blog. I feel honored to be among so many other authors.

Looking forward to doing some reading from your list.

Peace, Linda
(Author of Gogo's Dream:Swaziland Discovered)

Suko said...

LuAnn, I have also been away, but am back! Congratulations on your prizes! The books you mention are new to me.

Beverly said...

LuAnn - I saw a comment from you that you like Taylor Caldwell. I haven't heard of anyone reading Taylor Caldwell in forever. I am looking for a book I read a long time ago - The Listener? Do you know it? I am a follower now. Bev

LuAnn said...

Beverly: Thanks for stopping by. I probably have a copy of Taylor Caldwell's "The Listener," but her books are packed away right now until we get more of our remodeling done. Part of our plan is wall to wall bookshelves in one room and then I will designate a special shelf for each of my favorite authors.

LuAnn said...

Linda: How are you? I am looking forward to reading your book. I skimmed through some of the pages when it arrived and it is marvelous!

LuAnn said...

Suko: It's so great to hear from you. I've missed your regular comments while you've been gone!