Saturday, February 6, 2010

Enlightened Chocolate

By Camilla V. Saulsbury

From the book jacket:


“Including both savory and sweet chocolate recipes, Enlightened Chocolate is filled with more than 200 luscious, inviting recipes that let you have your chocolate and eat it too, but with less ft, fewer calories, and maximum flavor. The first compendium cookbook ever that is exclusively devoted to light chocolate recipes using antioxidant-rich dark chocolate and cocoa powder …”


I admit it ... I’m a chocoholic. Will I ever give it up? Not on your life.


Getting this book was like a trip to seventh heaven. It’s chock full of recipes that will not only tantalize, they will also amaze.


I didn’t realize there were so many main dish recipes that you can use chocolate in. It allows you to get your fix while eating a healthy meal.


Amazing!


For example, there is a recipe for Beef and Beer Chili that calls for cocoa powder. The author says the cocoa and beer actually make the chili taste beefier. I’m definitely going to have to try that one!


The one disappointment for me was there just aren't as many pictures as I would like. I want to see what I’m cooking is supposed to look like. And, the pictures that are included are shown on a few pages in the front of the book.


On the plus side, Camilla adds some helpful hints for the kitchen, such as measuring certain ingredients, and an appendix of online resources to find chocolate.


This is a great book and a wonderful addition to my cookbook shelves. I’ll use it often, I’m sure.


No comments: