Thursday, December 30, 2010

Specific Impulse


By Charles Justiz

From the back of the book:

“Space scientist, Carin Gonzales, and former submarine commander, Jake Sabio, are two strangers drifting separately through life when a mysterious explosion rocks them and brings them together. Now, the after-effects have changed both of them in unpredictable ways. Sometimes, they can see more clearly than before the explosion; while at other times they can smell more precisely and they move in ways that are clearly impossible. … To make matters worse, anyone else who felt the effects of the explosion is now inexplicable dead.”

This was an interesting story, indeed, but it was difficult to follow at times. The characters were likeable enough and their plight was one that made me sympathetic, but I often wondered how much of what they did was attributable to the virus caused by the explosion. Or was it their own talents as educated and capable people?

As they run from those who want to see them dead, they battle for their lives against this deadly and unknown virus that has been introduced to their bodies by an unusual explosion at the rim of a meteorite crater. Armed with their own wits and a robot in the form of an old, outdated computer, they travel to the backwoods to hide until they can be whisked up to another planet where they could potentially find the cure for what ails them.

They only have so much time, however, because that planet will be passing close enough to pick them up at a specific time. While they wait, their enemies are quickly approaching.

If you enjoy science fiction, you will probably like this story. I found parts of it intriguing. But I was concerned a little about the ending because it really didn’t make sense to me and I wasn’t sure at times how certain side stories fit into the whole scheme of the book.

I’ll admit, my life was pretty hectic while I was reading and maybe, I didn’t concentrate as much on my reading of this book as I normally would. But I’m also not really a science fiction fan and a book has to be outstanding to keep me involved.

That said, sci-fi fans would surely see this story in a different light and for that reason, I give it 3 books.


No comments: