Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Paper Bag Christmas


By Kevin Alan Milne

From the book jacket:

“When Molar Alan and his older brother, Aaron, fill out their Christmas wish lists front and back, the Santa at the mall informs the boys they won’t be getting anything they asked for. Instead, he says, they will receive everything they never wanted. This isn’t your garden-variety Santa, he’s Dr. Chris Ringle, a pediatric oncologist, and he enlists the brothers as Santa’s elves at the children’s ward for the holidays.”

The two boys in this story find themselves having to volunteer at the cancer wing of the local children’s hospital where they encounter issues they haven’t faced yet in their young lives. As they meet the kids who may or may not survive their illnesses, they learn some key lessons about what’s important in life.

I was so pleasantly surprised with this book. It’s rare that someone can take this sensitive a topic and turn it into a positive read.

The story is absolutely charming and well worth taking the time to read it. I know I’m glad I did!


1 comment:

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

How cool. Bravo! And... here's EIGHT blogs YOU may steal/plagiarize to thy heart's content (don't find that very off'n, doya? Just like to give my piece of cranium to the world); be warned, however: Upstairs in Heaven Above, all of my EIGHT blogs of wisdom and avant-garde-efficaciousness will be attributed to moi, aussi. Though, I don't think you'll care one-way-or-the-other in the Great Beyond --- Shhh! Don’t tell! Didju know I’m certifiably insane and I’m writing from a state-run, mental-health-facility on Mars? (Latin: totidem verbis [in so many words]). God bless.