Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Author Interview: Tomi Akinyanmi

Today, I'd like you to help me welcome Tomi Akinyanmi, author of the book "A Worthy Legacy" (see my review below).
Tomi has graciously included my blog as part of a tour she is conducting this week. I enjoyed her book and I'm sure you'll enjoy reading about her!

Tell us a little about yourself.

I was born and raised in Nigeria and lived there until 2002, as you can probably tell from my book. Since 2002, I have lived in the U.S. Writing has and always will be my passion. I love to write, draw, read and cook.

Tell us a little about your book.

One day, it dawned on me that I was an adult because I was suddenly faced with these responsibilities, as well as the challenges that come with being grown up, which I had no clue how to deal with. I found I needed a personal reference, some sort of manual for dealing with the issues of life, so I wrote down everything I learned, especially from my dad.
When my dad died suddenly in 2001 just after I had graduated from college, I was desperately in need of guidance for the next stage of my life. Hence, I dug up the folder of quotes, to write dad's last words for him and ended up with "A Worthy Legacy."

How did becoming a writer change your life?

Writing, unlike speaking, doesn't have an accent. Written English is the same everywhere all over the world. With my writing, I am able to transcend boundaries where language would otherwise have been a barrier to make new friends. I have friends all over the world. This is the way being a writer has changed my life.

This is your first novel. How was this different than writing poetry?

There was a story line for the novel and it had a lot more words than poetry. When I write poetry, it tends to be more of an expression of thought and it is often brief.

Who influenced you the most in your writing career?

A friend of mine who had a passion for the written word helped me find my voice. My dad also encouraged me quite a lot. Right now, my husband is my number one critic and cheerleader in one. Between these people and reading the work of various masters, like Shakespeare, Twain and more recently, people like Maya Angelou, my writing has greatly improved.

What's next for you?

I've had people ask me how to apply the lessons of "A Worthy Legacy" in everyday life so I am working on a book for that, as well as a journal companion to "A Worthy Legacy" as a starting point for people who have been inspired by the book, to write their own legacy. I hope to publish these books soon.

I'd like to thank Tomi for joining us today. I can't wait to read more of her writing in the future!

No comments: