Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice

From the back of the book:

“When a respected professor’s wife drives to her death in an icy river, an illicit relationship between a student the his teacher threatens to come to light, and within days Atherton University is the scene of escalating speculation and intrigue.”


This was an interesting book, to say the least. When it first came out in 2001, it received mixed reviews. Many weren’t very positive.

I did like it, although I thought it was a little drawn out. In this case, Christopher Rice went into too much detail about the characters’ dysfunctional lives to the neglect of the story itself. It took over half the book before he ever begins to talk about what is really happening.

He is a good writer. He just needs to get to the point sooner as several times I wanted to put the book down and forget it.

I’m glad I finished it, though. It turned out to be a very intriguing story. However, I don’t think I’d recommend it to someone who wants an easy read.

I give this novel three books because of the imagination Rice (who by the way, is the son of author Anne Rice) put into the writing of this story. It is a good premise.





No comments: