Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday Sightseeing

MarDon Resort

I thought this was a good follow-up to last week's post about Grand Coulee Dam. When the water flows through the intricate canal system to irrigate the many crops in our area, it has to end up somewhere.
Well, the result is a wonderful recreation area at MarDon Resort. If you look at the picture, you'll see the water, which is a huge lake called Potholes Reservoir. It's where the water is stored for the lower end of the irrigation system.
It offers some of the best fishing in the world. In fact, I can still remember seeing pictures of the Potholes in my dad's fishing magazines when I was a kid.
Before the dam was built, this lake didn't exist. It was a large canyon where sheep, cattle and horses grazed. Today, it's tons and tons of water that helps feed the world.
The resort offers cabins, RV parking, a restaurant, gift shop, fishing supplies and boat rentals. Nearby is a great golf course with sports bar and lounge. And there is also a great state park with camping, swimming, playground for the kids, picnic area and an interpretive trail offering a look at some of the plant life in the area.


All around the lake you can find opportunities for watching wildlife. My husband and I have taken the canoe and paddled around the shore looking at a variety of birds. I've also taken quite a few photos of birds by just driving around the area.
Mar Don Resort is a great place to visit. It is located about 20 minutes from where I live.

No comments: