Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Night Whispers: A Story of Evil


By Emmett Clifford

From the book jacket:

“When Justine slipped out of the house to meet her lover Sanford at his cabin in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, she had no idea she would be dead before the night was half over. But then, Sanford had no reason to believe he, too, would suffer the same fate. How could either of them know Scanner, a brilliant psychopath preying on their sleepy East Tennessee mountain community, had murder on his mind?”

I had some problems following this book. There were a lot of different stories rambling around in the pages and the descriptions were overdone.

However, the premise of this evil murderer is a good one and the book left me wondering clear to the end who was behind these dastardly deeds.

This is Emmett Clifford’s first novel and he definitely has some potential as a writer. In my opinion, though, he needs to work a little on his style and make the next book a little clearer and not bring so many personalities into his stories. I really never could pinpoint which ones were the main characters.

I’ve always been a fan of the thriller genre and I like a book that teases me to the end. Unless it’s important to the story, I would rather keep guessing whodunit. Clifford did that and I appreciated the little twists and turns. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I was proved wrong.

I hope others are reading this book for review because I’m anxious to find out what they thought of “Night Whispers.” I think I’ll try Clifford’s next novel and see if I like it better.

I’m giving this story two books because I thought it was “OK.”


No comments: