Monday, May 3, 2010

Monday Mail Call


For a change, the weather report is accurate here in the Columbia Basin. That's not good!

We live in a little pocket where bad weather seems to typically go around us. We usually get the fringes of whatever is happening.

So, when I heard we were supposed to get nasty wind, I wasn't too concerned. Well, it's here. The weather warning said we could get gusts up to 60 miles per hour, with sustainable winds of 20 to 30 mph.

It's blowing like mad out there and it's soooo cold.

I grew up in the Midwest (in Tornado Alley), so heavy winds totally creep me out. Even though I know we don't get tornadoes here, I still get nervous and tense. I spent too many nights hiding in the basement as a child, I guess.

We don't have basements here. What do we need them for? Nothing to hide from, anyway.

Some of the houses have partial basements, but they were designed to be root cellars back in the days when those were necessary.

I'll just have to grit my teeth and face the wind when I head to the newspaper office this afternoon. It's a weekly paper and it gets put together on Mondays. I help with the proofreading and I write a story now and then, as well as a weekly recipe column titled Table Scraps.

For those who haven't read it, I do post it online at my Table Scraps blog. Stop by and check it out!

This past week, I received some wonderful books in my mail box.

1. The Handy Law Answer Book by David L. Hudson Jr.
2. The Crazy School by Cornelia Read
3. Lies of the Heart by Michelle Boyhjian
4. Foxy: My Life in Three Acts by Pam Grier with Andrea Cagan

The following books all came in one box from Kristi at Books and Needlepoint. She drew my name in a drawing she had on her blog. If you get the chance, you should check out her blog. She does great reviews and has some fun giveaways. Here's what she sent me:

5. Comes a Horseman by Robert Liparulo (plus bookmark)
6. A Better View of Paradise by Randy Sue Coburn
7. The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand
8. All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown
9. Stray Affections by Charlene Ann Baumbich

No comments: