Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cain’s Version


By Frank Durham

From the back of the book:

“Lindy Caton, middle-aged, attractive, and recently divorced, accepts a position as Director of the Moulton Foundation in small-town Louisiana to be closer to her aging father. While building her new life, she encounters and assumes care of three elderly, eccentric women living in subsistence. As her relationship with them grows, she discovers the extraordinary secret of their past that sweeps her into the dramatic return of an itinerant son seeking to reconcile with his mother over an ancient act of cruelty.”

I had trouble following this book as it jumped around a lot, but I think it’s supposed to be the story of the Cain in the Bible and how he is still alive and wandering the world. His mother Eve still lives, as well, and she’s one of the three women the main character meets and becomes somewhat a friend with.

I could be way off base here and I may have totally misunderstood the book. If so, I apologize.

On the positive side, Durham is an excellent writer. He has been compared to Garcia Marquez and I definitely could see the connection. His prose follows the style of the classic authors and reminded me of many I read years ago.

“Cain’s Version” was chosen for a Independent Publisher Book Award, so I encourage you to give it a try and see what you get out of it. You may enjoy it more than I did.

 

No comments: