Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Future Hope

By David Gelber

From the back of the book:


“Future earth has forgotten God. Science and technology reign supreme. A benevolent government banishes hunger, poverty, and disease and provides a luxurious lifestyle for an ever-increasing population. However, even science has its limits, and the world faces a crisis of diminishing resources.”


This novel is nothing but super! I really liked this book about what happens when the resources of our planet are about to run out and science must come up with a way to save the people.


Their first thought is to look for other planets where the people might live. As they haven’t found any in the immediate “area,” they decide to look outside our dimension and develop a space ship that can go through the portals to other worlds.


Interesting idea, don't you think?


However, that may be the premise of the book, but the story is more about the people themselves and their relationships, including with God. You see, 200 years from now, publicly talking about your belief in God could land you in jail and owning a Bible is a major crime.


Then, as the first astropilot breaks the dimension barrier and travels to parts unknown, what do you think he encounters? Why another Eden! All the people in the Bible live there and unlike Earth, they haven’t eaten that forbidden fruit, so they have been able to remain in Eden and haven’t been banished to the cruel outside.


I’m not going to tell you any more about the story because I really think you should read this book yourself. It was just recently published (January) and apparently, it is part of a series, which I definitely want to look into.


This book does have an ending, though, that can stand on its own, so I don’t think it’s an absolute must to read the next one. I’ve read series like that and it can be quite frustrating because unless you pick up the following book, you never find out what really happened.


I’m very glad this book isn’t like that and I hope the subsequent stories will also be individual.


Like I said, this is a great read and one very worth your time.


2 comments:

David Gelber MD said...

Thank you for taking the time to review my book. The manuscript for the second installment is finished and with my editor. I hope to release it by the end of this year or early 2011.

David Gelber
http://www.itpfuturehope.com

Suko said...

LuAnn, this sounds quite fascinating! Your review is excellent--I will add this to my TBR pile.