Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A New Award


My good friend Maryann Miller from It's Not All Gravy passed this wonderful "Picasso Award" on to me. I've been blogging for two years and in that time, I've met many nice people out there in the blogosphere. Maryann has always been one of my favorites and I hope to someday meet her in person!

Part of receiving this award to is tell you seven true things about myself. So, here goes:

1. I grew up in Akron, Ohio, and moved to Washington state in 1975.

2. I have been reading my entire life and I really don't remember actually "learning" to read. It's just something I always enjoyed. By the time I was in fifth grade, I was reading at college level and was in a special class for advanced readers.

3. I spent several years as a member of the Akron Majorettes and Drum Corps when I was a teenager. I also competed in individual baton twirling competitions and still have a box full of trophies.

4. I have a bachelor's degree in social sciences, which I earned after my divorce from my kids' father. I arranged my college class schedule around their school times so I could still be home when they left for school in the mornings and got home in the afternoons.

5. I've worked for several newspapers, including in the position of editor, and won numerous awards for writing and photography. These days, I prefer to stick with freelance writing so I can set my own schedule and not have to answer calls in the middle of the night. I still do a lot of writing for the local paper, but it's on my own terms and time.

6. I am involved in several community organizations. I'm the conservation chair for the area Audubon Society, the secretary and archivist for the community museum and I help with the Othello Sandhill Crane Festival, serving as a spokesperson.

7. I love to take weekend trips with my wonderful husband. With a house constantly full of kids and grandkids (who I adore), it's nice to get away for some time to ourselves. I live in the desert, so trips are typically to the mountains or the ocean. It's great to have all those different worlds within driving distance!

Well, there you go. That's probably more than you ever wanted to know about me!

Now, I'm going to pass this award on to a few of my other friends:

1. Suko at Suko's Notebook
2. Amanda at A Patchwork of Books
3. Sia at Thoughts Over Coffee
4. Katy at A Few More Pages
5. Lisa at Online Publicist

Thanks, Maryann, for this sweet award!

5 comments:

Lisa Roe said...

Thanks for the fun award! I certainly do appreciate it. :-) Now I will have to come up with 7 fun things to share with everyone...

Katy said...

Thank you Luann! What a fun award!

(BTW, my name's Katy at A Few More Pages ;-D)

LuAnn said...

Whoops, sorry, Katy! I've corrected that in this post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much LuAnn! That's so nice of you!

Suko said...

Congratulations, and thank you, LuAnn! I enjoyed learning about you in this post. :)