Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Dark Knight

My husband and I went to see "The Dark Knight" this past weekend!
First, let me set the stage:
We decided to go 'dating' Saturday -- you know, dinner and a movie.
The evening started out with dinner at one of my favorite restaurants (they have the best salad dressings in the world!) where we shared a plate of chicken fettuccine. Yum!
When we got to the theater, lo and behold, the film was sold out. This was at 7:00. They suggested we come back for the 9:30 showing, but that we purchase our tickets ahead of time because every time the film played, it was selling out.
OK. So we bought our tickets and went puttering around town.
Our main stop was Hastings, where we cruised the book and movie aisles. Cool! I love doing that and I found a copy of "The Wizard of Oz," which I had been looking for. I also bought Zuma (computer game) and a disc on using QuickBooks. Hubby found four classic western movies.
Now what should we do? We still had an hour until show time.
Fortunately, I just happened to have the current book I was reading with me! We went back to the theater and found a shady spot to park. I read my book and hubby rested.
We went inside about a half hour before the movie was to begin (also a suggestion from the theater manager when we were there earlier). There was already quite a line. We bought popcorn and soda and joined the others who were waiting.
Finally, we were sitting in front of the screen -- a little closer than I like to sit, but the seats were filling up fast!
Aw, previews of coming attractions and YES! the film begins.
AND I LOVED IT!!!
I've always been a Batman fan. I remember watching the weekly series starring Adam West when I was a little girl. My sister and I would get home from school, turn on the TV and BAM! WHAM! (Guess you had to be there!)
Imagine how excited I was when they started making the movies. I absolutely loved Jack Nicholson as the joker.
So, what did I think of this latest version of the caped crusader? Wonderful. Excellent. Thrilling. Super-duper. Etc. Etc. Etc.
The action was fantastic, i.e. the scene where the semi flips! The makeup and costumes were awesome.
I also loved Heath Ledger as the joker. He reminded me of a young Jack Nicholson. Heath did a great job and I can see why the critics are talking "Oscar" here.
Now, what did hubby think? Hmm, that's another story. You have to understand that he's a pretty laid-back kind of guy. He likes the old westerns (hence the purchases at Hastings) and he likes comedies. He thought "The Dark Knight" was too fake.
Ugh! (Can you picture me rolling my eyes here?)
"It's supposed to be fake ... it's a comic book!" was my reply.
Oh, well. I liked it and next time, I'll let him pick the movie. I hope I don't fall asleep in the middle of it!

3 comments:

Elaine Cantrell said...

Isn't it a shame about Heath Ledger? He seemed to be very talented. Glad you enjoyed the movie.

Elaine Cantrell
http://www.elainepcantrell.blogspot.com

Elaine Cantrell said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'd love for you to add me to your list. We're going on vacation next week, but as soon as I get back I'll add you to mine as well.

Thanks,
Elaine Cantrell

Georgia said...

I loved what i saw of it, as usual, I fell asleep during the movie (like any I have attempted to watch). I'd definately watch it again... and again... and again until I got to see the whole thing.