Thursday, August 14, 2008

Where or When

Anita Shreve is one of my favorite authors. Her writing is very poetic and wonderful to read.
I know several people who refuse to read her books because of the little twists she puts at the end. For me, that’s one of the things I enjoy about a book. I find it fun when I’m sure I have a story figured out and the writer proves me wrong.
I found “Where or When” particularly poignant for today’s society. There are many people who have located former friends and lovers via the Internet. What does a person do if they suddenly find they still have feelings for someone they haven’t seen for many years?
That’s the premise of this book, although the two former lovers don’t find each other in a different way. The woman is a poet and gives a reading where the newspaper does a write-up about her. The man sees it and recognizes her right away.
Needless to say, he contacts her and they begin a passionate, emotional affair despite the fact they both have spouses and/or families who depend on them.
Shreve has made this book one that leaves questions in your mind whenever you put it down. Not only do you wonder what happens next, it makes you think about the topic in general – as I mentioned at the beginning of this review.
This is a marvelous book and I think you’ll enjoy it.

No comments: