Friday, March 11, 2011

Words Matter Week Day 5


Words, like moths, are captured by writers who pin them to the page in various forms. What writer’s work most deftly captivates you? Why?

When I think of contemporary authors, Elizabeth Redfern definitely comes to mind. She is the author of “The Music of the Spheres” and she is one of the best I’ve read in a long time. She brings the style of the classic writers to the present day. She writes in such an interesting voice. When I read her novel, I felt as if I was sitting in a dark corner listening to the story being told just to me. Her words were so intriguing and the characters were well defined. I felt as if I was being transported right into the pages.

Redfern was born in England and earned a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Nottingham. She then earned a post-graduate degree as a chartered librarian at Ealing College and a post-graduate certificate in teaching at the University of Derby.

She worked as a librarian until her daughter was born, then she worked as an adult education lecturer. Her main subject was English. She has also worked with the unemployed and as a skills trainer in the workplace. In her spare time, she plays the violin with the Chesterfield Symphony Orchestra.

“The Music of the Spheres” is a Jack the Ripper-type of story. It revolves around a series of murders that take place in back alleys and involve young prostitutes. Her first novel “Auriel Rising” is a historical mystery.

No comments: