Thursday, August 13, 2009

Review: The Hidden Man by David Ellis

From the back of the book:

“Jason Kolarich is a midwestern everyman with a lineman’s build and an easy smart-ass remark. He’s a young, intelligent, and successful lawyer. … When a long-estranged friend resurfaces needing Kolarich’s legal help, the lawyer has to try to salve old wounds. Yet as the trial looms, it becomes clear that unsettling events from the past are precisely what need to be exposed in order to crack not only this case but also a mysteriously connected one that went unsolved more than thirty years ago.”


I’ve always been a fan of thrillers and mysteries. So, when I read a new-to-me author, I tend to (unintentionally, I’m sure) look at the book with more of a critical eye.


First off, a thriller must be believable. A detective doing something totally out of the ordinary is a huge turnoff for me.


In this story, the main character is a lawyer. David Ellis himself is a lawyer, so he knows firsthand what someone who practices law would or wouldn’t do in a given situation.


That in itself was a major plus for this novel.


I read this book in a little over a day because I simply couldn’t put it down. It has a wonderful storyline that pulls you in right from the start.


In fact, the first paragraph of the book is: “Act normal, whatever that means. Normal. Like everyone else. Not different. Not like a freak. Just another person at the park.”


Isn’t that a great opening for any story? That, of course, is the alleged bad guy speaking just before a little 3-year-old girl is kidnapped and murdered.


I loved this book and I’d recommend it to anyone who likes a story they can sink their teeth into. It definitely fits the bill.




No comments: