Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Sister’s Keeper

Jodi Picoult is one of my preferred authors. I first read one of her books only within the last year and I finished it with the thought, “Why haven’t I read her before?” She truly is a wonderful writer.
“My Sister’s Keeper” is no exception. In fact, it’s probably one of the best books I’ve read and enough for me to rate it at five books.
It’s the story of a young girl who realizes the only reason she exists is to save her older sister’s life.
Kate was diagnosed with a rare form of childhood leukemia as a toddler. Anna was conceived in order to provide transplants – blood transfusions, bone marrow, organs – for Kate. By age 13, Anna had undergone countless surgeries to keep her sister alive.
When it becomes necessary for Kate to have a kidney transplant, Anna rebels. She researches the dangers that could result and hires an attorney to sue her parents for medical independence. It’s not that she doesn’t want to help her sister. After all, she does love her dearly. She just wants some say-so about her own life.
This touching and eye-opening story truly causes one to think about the consequences a family of a mortally ill child must face. It is so well written that the reader will feel they know the people involved intimately.
At times, the book will make you angry. It will also make you cry and laugh. It gives an entirely new perspective to the issue of stem cell research, in vitro fertilization and medicine itself.
“My Sister’s Keeper” was a Mother’s Day present from my own daughter. She spent hours digging through stacks at the bookstore to come up with this gift and I can’t thank her enough for it.
I’ve read thousands of books and this moves to the top of my list of favorites.

No comments: