Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saving Max



By Antoinette van Heugten

From the back of the book:

“Lawyer Danielle Parkman is at her wit’s end. Her son Max, a whip-smart teen with high-functioning autism, has always been a handful. But lately he’s shutting down, using drugs and lashing out – violently. Desperate, Danielle brings Max to a top-flight psychiatric facility. But rather than reassurance, Danielle receives an agonizing diagnosis portraying a severely damaged, dangerous boy – one she’s never met. Then Danielle finds Max unconscious and bloodied at the feet of a patient who has been brutally stabbed to death. Worse, Danielle is arrested as an accessory to the heinous crime.”

Right from the first page, I was pulled into this story of intrigue and mystery. The story was interesting and believable and I was very impressed with the author’s writing, especially given the fact this is her first novel.

The story follows a mother and her 17-year-old son, who is accused of murder, as she tries to prove him innocent. There are several twists and turns and even though it wasn’t that difficult to figure out “whodunit,” it’s a super story that was definitely difficult to put down.

In fact, when I got toward the end, I stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish the book! Then, when I read the last few lines, I said to myself, “Oh, my gosh!” My mouth dropped open and I was totally in shock.

Wow! What a book!

“Saving Max” will hit the shelves in October, so you’ll want to add this to your list of “to look for” books. It’s an excellent read.


3 comments:

Suko said...

Wow! This does sound like a book to look out for! You were lucky to get to read it early. :)

Antoinette van Heugten said...

Hello LuAnn,
Thank you for reading and reviewing my novel, SAVING MAX. I'm always thrilled to hear that someone has had to stay up late to finish it - that's the best compliment!
Best,
Antoinette van Heugten

Antoinette van Heugten said...

Hello LuAnn,
I can't thank you enough for reading and reviewing my novel, SAVING MAX. I'm always thrilled to hear that it kept someone up nights! It's particularly gratifying to hear such positive comments when you're a first time novelist. Thanks again!
Antoinette van Heugten